The Parish Church of St. Mary,
The left hand light begins with the Birth of Jesus in the lower panel; above is the
scene with Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus with the prophetess Anna in the Temple
(Luke 2); at the top is the baptism of Jesus with the Voice from heaven “Hic est
filius meus” (This is my Son -
The story continues at the bottom of the centre light with the last Supper. The
artist has thus contrived that his representation should be closest to the regular
At the bottom of the left hand light there follow the scenes in the Garden of Gethsemane and along the Way of the Cross. Then, back in the centre light, is the Crucifixion, to be followed by the Resurrection and Ascension.
The window at the eat end of the south wall contains fragments of the corona around the Heraldic Trinity on both sides of its mullion. The right hand light also has part of a wing, an some crudely painted pigs and other animals all at different angles against a streaky yellow background; this might be part of a “Doom” window.
Perhaps the most interesting window is that at the west end of the south wall, just behind the clergy stall. A diamond of glass high up in the left hand compartment bears the etching “March 1797”.
High in the other compartment is another etching with the date 1848. But it is at the bottom of this compartment that the interest lies.
Firstly, there is a shield -
“Richard Fleetwood and Margery his wife 1595”
And below this a heavy near illegible black letter inscription of much earlier date:
Harewode/de Merston boteler in fieri fecit/s ui + matris/sue
( compare List of priors “of Merston” and donor of Breviary (Harewode)
And again along the very lower edge of the window, some small squares -
The oak panelling around the east end of the Chancel was installed as a memorial to Penwortham men killed in the First World War. Designed by Austin and Paley, it was dedicated in 1921.
|St. Mary's Before Re-ordering|
|Church Related Links|