The Parish Church of St. Mary,
Now the manor of Hutton had in 1546 been granted to a Lawrence Rawstorne of Old Windsor, and it was his descendant, Col. Lawrence Rawstorne who in 1783 bought from James Barton the Manor of Penwortham including the old Priory. From then on until the estate was broken up into a housing suburb in the early 20th century, the Squire of Penwortham was always called Lawrence Rawstorne. The connection of the Rawstornes with Penwortham is maintained in that the present (2011) Patron of the Benefice is Alicia Wild (nee Rawstorne). Part of the property which remained in the hands of the Bussel family came into the possession of the Faringtons of Worden in the 19th century.
The Ancient Parish of Penwortham was very extensive, and over the years has given birth to four new Parishes.
Reference was made to “the priest of Longton” in a deed of 1150 but the area was not served continuously from then on. Sometimes it was served by a clerk, sometimes by the Master of Hutton School.The first Minister to use the title “Vicar” was the Rev’d Lawrence Preston in 1852. The PCC was formed in 1922 and legal separation was formalised in 1938. Thus ended a long process, begun when people realised that the flooding of Mill Brook made it very often impossible for the parishioners of Hutton and Longton to get to Penwortham Church, so the brook, by Howick School, forms the boundary. The worshippers of Hutton and Longton first used a chapel at Hutton, which existed in about 1200 at a place called Ulvedene, perpetuated by the name Chapel Hill. The present church at Longton (St Andrew’s), designed by J.E.K Cutts and built in 1887, replaced an earlier Chapel built close by which itself replaced an earlier building in 1773.
This is a younger parish, and was separated more rapidly, largely because of Victorian
industrial development in he area. A District was assigned to it by Order in Council
in 1843, and it became a full parish on the retirement of the then Vicar of Penwortham
in 1858. The Church (St. Paul’s) designed by Sharpe was built 1839-
The area was designated a Conventional District in 1916, became a “Peel Parish” in 1928 and a full Parish in 1931. A cottage for worship was rented in 1866 and a small chapel was built in the following year. A larger, temporary chapel was dedicated in 1917 and the present Church (All Saints), designed by T. Mellor, was dedicated in 1964.
|St. Mary's Before Re-ordering|
|Church Related Links|