The Parish Church of St. Mary,
At the south end of Church Avenue, where it joins Kingsway and Penwortham Brow, there was until the turn of the century a Lodge. This Lodge, which presided over the main entrance to the rebuilt Priory and bore the Achievement of the Rawstorne family, was removed and rebuilt at Hutton, where it now stands at the corner of Moor lane and Tolsey Drive.
The older line of lime trees, to the west of the Avenue, was planted to mark the majority of the Squire, Lawrence Rawstorne, in 1864. The line extends to what was then the south boundary of the Churchyard. More tree were planted to mark the Coronation of George VI in 1937; an avenue of 42 Cornish elms, and behind tem on the east side, a crescent of four service trees(Sorbus domestica).
The whole of Church Avenue, from the Lych Gate to War Memorial, and including the hillside below, was presented to St. Mary’s Church in 1920 by Lawrence Rawstorne and Arthur Fish. The small stone cross was then placed on an ancient pedestal, which was removed a few yards northwards from its original position to mark the junction of the two gifts of land
Saint Mary’s and Saint Anne’s Wells
The symbolism of the cleansing and rejuvenative properties of water has always attracted the religious mind, and it is not unnatural that two springs near Saint Mary’s Church should have saints’ names attached to them
Better known is Saint Mary’s Well, now covered by the dual carriageway that climbs
Penwortham brow. Called a well, but more accurately a spring, it was believed to
be able to assist with miracles. Water poured into an oblong stone trough just below
the road, a little to the west of the zig-
Little is known about Saint Anne’s Well; Hewitson, writing in the 19th century, says it was a spring on the west side of church.
The Rev’d W. Thornber, writing in 1857 referes to the ‘tale....most stoutly persisted in.... That from the vicinity of Castle Hill or from the Priory there existed a subterranean passage, which communicated with the hospital on the opposite bank of the Ribble’. (From 1123 this site was used by by the monks of the Order of Savigny, but four years later they left for Furness.)
Penwortham War Memorial
|St. Mary's Before Re-ordering|
|Church Related Links|