The Parish Church of St. Mary,
In the 17th century it was the time-
From 1606 five orders were made by two successive bishops of Chester, endorsed by the Archbishop of York, and several prominent local people. They described the damage and told parishioners to lay aside superstition and use the less popular north churchyard for burials.
Burials were prohibited between the Chancel and the bank; the prohibition also extended to an area bounded by ‘the cross and towe great thorne trees upon one root in the churchyard walle southward from that cross’.
There was a small landslip early in 1891, and in the Spring of 1932 and the bank
began to move again. Work was immediately started on dry rubble drains and buttresses.
These lines of rubble may be seen running from top to bottom of the bank. In order
to reach as firm foundations, the rubble had at some points to be as deep as twenty
feet below the surface. The task was completed by the Autumn, and the money -
The long slab now leaning against the Tower Wall wall was originally laid in the
ground. Incised and faintly visible, are the floreated cross within a circle, and
on the dexter side, a sword. Although the slab dates from the 12th -
The initials ‘R (?) H’ which are more heavily incised were added in the 16th century or later, perhaps the stone was later used to mark another grave.
Note: the slab is now located in the chancel of church.
November 1896 saw the beiginning of the construction of a Lych Gate, given in memory of Mr. & Mrs W.A. Hulton, of Hurst Grange. The gate was dedicate in March of 1897 by the bishop of Manchester; a commemorative plaque fixed to it is dated 1896.
Carve over the north portal is the inscription “ DOMINUS CUSTODIAT EXITUM TUUM” and over the south portal “DOMINUS CUSTODIAT INTROITUM TUUM”
The tow inscriptions mean “The Lord preserve thy going out” and “The Lord preserve
they going in” -
|St. Mary's Before Re-ordering|
|Church Related Links|